MANUAL LYMPHATIC DRAINAGE
Lymphatic Drainage Massage (MLD) is a type of massage therapy that focuses on stimulating the lymphatic system in the body. It can help to improve detoxification, increase energy levels and reduce swelling in parts of the body. It is commonly used to target areas where lymph nodes may be congested or blocked, helping to improve circulation and promote overall health and wellbeing.
MLD was developed by the Vodders (Dr. Emil Vodder and his wife, Estrid) in the 1930s for treatment of swollen lymph nodes.
By gently stretching the skin and applying just enough pressure, this massage technique encourages increased circulation and movement of fluids away from congested areas, helping to alleviate swelling and inflammation.
The key is to use very light strokes and move slowly – too much pressure or fast motions may hinder the effectiveness of the massage.
The lymphatic drainage massage is a special type of massage that has many beneficial effects for our bodies.
• Reduces swelling and water retention
• Promotes healing
• Reduces pain
• Stimulates blood circulation and tissue regeneration
• Directs and increases lymphatic flow, promoting faster removal of excess interstitial fluid
• Improves the immune system due to the important elimination of toxins
• Promotes body and mental relaxation
• Provides an overall lightness in the body
• Energizes the body
MLD can be beneficial for people with a variety of chronic conditions including fibromyalgia, digestive problems, migraines, allergies, sinusitis, etc.
• Traumatic edema
• Postsurgical edema
• Reflex sympathetic dystrophy – Sudeck’s atrophy
• Rheumatic diseases
• Untreated malignant disease, tumor recurrence or metastases
• Relevant cardiac insufficiency
• Renal failure
• Acute infections
• Acute deep vein thrombosis
How To Prepare For Your Lymphatic Drainage Massage Treatment:
Before your massage treatment, it is important to drink plenty of water both before and after the session. This helps move the lymph fluid that has been released during the massage and encourages further flushing of toxins from the body. It is also recommended to wear comfortable clothing.
Be sure to communicate any health concerns with your therapist so they can adjust the pressure accordingly.
Let us take care of you! If you want to try MLD, book an appointment at Lady Lymph.